Sunday, January 6, 2013

Homemade Hamburger Buns

Homemade Hamburger Buns

I love homemade bread and rolls, but they take forever.  Yesterday I did a search for hamburger buns while I was on Pinterest, and the recipe for these came up.  The problem was that the page was in French!  I can still understand some of what I read in French, but I did need to have Google translate it for me.  Just for fun, I'm giving you the literal translation.

It is via Pinterest I came across this recipe for hamburger buns , I should rather call it "magic rolls." 

Usually, breads homemade burgers are much better than those of trade but tend to be heavier and more filling. As Mr. Sweets is not able to eat two hamburgers as he usually does.

This recipe is absolutely amazing, it takes no time to prepare because there is almost no lift and breads are light, fluffy and very good. 

I made some changes to the original recipe I used fresh yeast, I replaced the oil with butter and I let rise for 30 minutes instead of 10 ... to be sure!
Do not hesitate to make the full recipe, I'm not sure you have time to freeze.

breads For 12:

40 g fresh yeast or 2 tablespoons (30 ml ) active dry yeast
1 cup + 2 tablespoons (280 ml) warm water
1/3 cup (80 g) butter, melted
1/4 cup (50 g) sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon (5 ml ) salt
 3 to 3 and 1/2 cups (450 g to 525 g) flour

 Glaze: 1 egg yolk mixed with 1 tablespoon (15 ml) milk


In the bowl of a stand mixer, dissolve yeast in warm water.
Add the melted butter and sugar and let stand for 5 minutes.
Add egg, salt and enough flour to form a soft dough.
Knead until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 3-5 minutes. Do not let up.
Divide the dough into 12 pieces and shape them into a ball. Put them on two lined baking sheets with parchment paper, leaving 3 inches (7.5 cm) space between them.
Cover and let stand for 30 minutes.
Glaze with egg yolk mixed with milk.
Bake at 425 F (220 C) for 8-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool on a rack.

For fun, go here to see it in French:

No comments:

Post a Comment