Wednesday, March 13, 2013

   SHEPHERDS PIE

I was watching the Nate Burkis show one morning last year and he had a chef on that made healthy version of the traditional shepherds pie.  I have made it several times and we really enjoy it.  It is a little labor intensive but well worth the time. For anyone that works this may be a good recipe to try on a weekend.

1 Large Onion, chopped                                          Lots of Worcestershire Sauce
2 Stalks Celery, finely chopped                                Sage, Rosemary and Thyme to taste
2 Large Carrots, finely chopped                               2 Tbsp. Flour
2 Cloves garlic, finely chopped                                1/2 Cup Chicken Broth
2 Lbs. Ground Turkey                                             1 Cup Frozen Peas
Kosher salt and pepper to taste                                Mashed Potatoes

1.  Sweat onion and garlic, add celery and carrots and cook on medium 5-8 minutes.
2. Add turkey, salt and pepper.  Brown turkey.
3.  Add Worcestershire sauce.
4. Sprinkle with flour
5.  Add 1/2 cup chicken broth and stir in til well blended
6. Add peas
7.  Pour into a deep dish pie plate.
8.  Spread potatoes over all
9.  Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

I use my 12" chicken fryer to cook all the ingredients.  My pie plate is a deep dish 10" plate and it is full when all ingredients are poured into it..  I also start my potatoes cooking as I am cooking the other vegetables so they are done and mashed by the time the other ingredients are done.

No comments:

Post a Comment